Sunday, July 1, 2007

Day 6. Faces in the stone.

We got up and did our normal pancake breakfast. If you are wondering, and I know you are, Aunt Jemima Buttermilk just add water is way better than Bisquick shake and bake pancakes but you do have to find something to make them in. I used my Nalgine bottle, worked great.

We packed up our tent and sleeping bags for the last time on this trip. By this time packing the car has become a well oiled machine. Mistakes that were made in the beginning had been corrected and things had even stopped falling out of the car when I opened the tailgate. Check out the pictures for one of the fully packed car.

Mt. Rushmore was next on our list of things to see and was about two hours from our campsite. This is a busy monument, even on a week day, but we were able to get in and find a cool parking spot deep in the parking garage so that the dog wouldn't be too hot. The faces are a pretty amazing thing to see and think about how they were created. After snapping a few pictures we toured the museum that is under the viewing platform. It was all very interesting and I could have spent more time there but the kids were getting restless and with the dog in the car and a long day ahead of us we went back to the car.

Rounding the first corner when you are leaving you see a nice profile view of George Washington. I pulled over to take some pictures. As I stepped out of the car it struck me that we had finally made it to the west. The dry air, crisp blue sky and the distinct smell that pine trees give off on a hot summer day all let me know that the midwest was behind us and we were headed home. We drove on, twisting through the trees to Crazy Horse, about an hour down the road.

Where I was impressed with Rushmore, I was equally disappointed with Crazy Horse. Because there was no shade parking we were very rushed here, and Heather ended up going back to the car shortly after we got in. Most of the building where you would expect to learn about the monument is actually filled with people selling indian jewelry. A movie is practically forced on you as you walk in the door and overall I just didn't enjoy myself. We quickly found our way to the viewing platform where I took some pictures and left. Until they make some significant progress on that I have no desire to return.

After leaving Crazy Horse we all settled in for the long haul ( about 4 hours ) to Sheridan, WY where we had a hotel waiting. Thoughts of sleeping in a bed, showers and a pool kept our spirits up as we drove through the afternoon. The reason for this out of the way side trip was that my parents were going to be there on there own vacation and when we found out how close they would be at the same time we were already traveling we had to go.

We arrived at the hotel, everyone got a much needed shower and we headed out to Taco John's for dinner. When I was a kid these were all over the front range of Colorado and have the best little potato crisp things anywhere. We had started seeing them a ways back and finally had a chance to go eat at one. Just as good as ever. Come back Taco John's!

That night we all collapsed into our beds, tired and happy not to be on the ground another night.

No comments: