Thursday, June 28, 2007

Day 4. Sunrise to sunset.

Today we all knew that a long drive was ahead of us. Google maps reported our next leg taking 9 hours 22 minutes. With that on our minds we planned on getting up at the early hour of 6 and leaving by 7, we almost made it too.

I got up around 5 because I wanted to try and get some sunrise pictures over Lake Michigan. When I got up the lake was completely fogged over, not exactly what I was hoping for. I stuck it out though and got some nice shots, some of them can be seen on the trip gallery.

After making breakfast I woke the kids up, everyone ate and down the road we headed. I took the first half of the day, getting us through the country roads and to I-94. Heather took over at this point so that I could try and upload some blog entries and pictures.

It was a couple of hours after that when we found the jolly green giant. Pulling into Blue Earth, MN for gas and nourishment we found that the town not only had pretty cheep gas and a Dairy Queen, but it also had a life size statue of that giant green man who tried to sell me peas. We had to stop and take pictures, you know where to find them.

Further down the road we found that MN is getting into the wind energy act. We saw 5 working wind mills and at least 20 more being installed. Go wind power!

Shortly after that we pulled off the interstate and found our way to the next camp site, Blue Mounds, MN. This place was very interesting, 80% of the park is fenced off and has an active buffalo herd on it. There is also an impressive cliff and a row of stones that is in alignment with the first day of spring and fall’s sunrise and sunset, but we were unable to see those.

Another round of spaghetti and off to bed we went. The longest day of driving was past us now, all short days from here on.

1 comment:

John said...

Wind power sucks...er blows!!!

Actually, I mean to say "Wind power rocks!" but that really only applies to geothermal.