Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Day 2. Toronto to Sault Ste Marie

Driving out of Toronto, Heather and I agreed that it was a beautiful city and deserved more of our time. Driving north the highway slowly shrank from a 12 lane divided to a 2 lane highway and evidence of civilization slipped away the farther we went. This was a very pretty drive and reminded me a lot of when I drove to Maine. The speed limit on this road was slower than Heather and I would have liked to go but, as the signs kept reminding us, the cost for speeding was very steep. $200 if you were caught going 75 mph. We decided not to take our chances. These were not the only signs on the highway, others reminded you “Speed Kills”, “Fatigue Kills” and “Big vehicles need more room”. There were more and Heather and dubbed this highway Canada’s learn how to drive highway”.

Along the road there were many rock outcroppings that had been cut into to create the road. By themselves they were pretty cool, but there was a strange thing going on with them. On top of almost every one there was a small cairn. Heather and I couldn’t figure out why they were there or who would have taken the time to stack all those rocks across a 400+ mile stretch. And then I saw it. A cherry picker, like the ones used by the electric company, but it had snow tracks where there should have been tires. The volume of now that they must get to need that must be astounding. The cairns were there to mark these rock outcroppings.

Around 8pm we finally crossed back into the states. The U.S. customs agent was much more attentive than the first but I forgot to mention the dog again. I think that we technically smuggled a dog into Canada and then into the U.S., oops. U.S. customs, if your reading this please don’t arrest me, I had all the required paperwork at the time.

We stopped for dinner, restocked our food supplies and set up the tent in the dark. Everyone crashed, excused from a long day of driving. Well almost everyone. Raiden spent about half an hour bouncing back and forth between Heather and I, then fell asleep.

No comments: